What does a Stenographer do?
A Stenographer takes dictation in shorthand of correspondence, reports, and other related material. May operate a typewriter to transcribe dictated material. Being a Stenographer may require an associate’s degree. Requires 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Additionally, Stenographer is familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under general supervision; typically reports to a supervisor or manager. Little or no degree of creativity and latitude required.
Working as a Stenographer
Stenographer jobs are highly skilled positions that require extensive training in shorthand, as well as the use of the steno-type machine and related technology. Individuals in court reporter programs therefore spend a great deal of time working on achieving both speed and accuracy in stenography.
In addition to stenography skills, court reporters must have an excellent grasp of the English language and of grammar, punctuation and spelling, and they must understand a large number of both legal and, sometimes, medical terms, particularly when working inside a courtroom. Stenographers often work in very fast-paced environments, and their work is held to very high standards.
Tips to Become Shorthand Expert
- Learn shorthand and typing from a reputed institute.
- Interest in English language; particularly vocabulary with spellings, and correct pronunciation alongwith correct usage of grammar i.e. tenses, active voice passive, direct indirect etc.
- Practice of Shorthand and Typing on regular basis.
- Good quality shorthand pencil and note book.
- General computer applications such as MS Office
- Take dictation from persons instead of same one while practicing. This will help you understand unknown accent in your stenographer examination.
- Practice such shorthand-outlines again and again which feel harder
- Prefer to type your dictation instead of writing down.
- Build your grammalogues.
- Make your own shorthand outlines and short-forms.
- Advanced & Easy way to Learn Stenography
- English Shorthand complete course
- Weekly Computerized Test system
- All rules of shorthand
- introduction to shorthand